The idea of breathing for improved health, focus, and more has been around for thousands of years. I’ve used breathing technique in many settings and recently I’ve become even more intentional and simple. The following approaches have helped me stay on task, and creative throughout my day. Enjoy these as you begin the new year, and I encourage you to make them your own.
Natural Meditative Breathing
As you go about your day, take a moment and try some, and eventually all of the following techniques. Some can become part of your daily experience while you are doing other things. Some require your complete attention. It will depend on your current state of mind and energy.
- Focus on the breath itself in a general way
- Focus on the feeling of the air going through your lips
- Focus on the rise and fall of your chest and other areas of the torso
- Focus on the warmth or coolness of the breath on your lips
- Visualize the stream of air coming in and going out
- Visualize the stream of air in the colors white and/or bright yellow
- Visualize the stream of air in both color and a pattern (such as checkered, striped, etc.)
- Whenever you find your mind wandering, gently bring yourself back to focusing on the breath
- Start with a short session of 2 - 3 minutes in length and build up to 10 - 12 minutes
- Try this in the morning before your day gets started
- Try this again midday as needed, before you become tired
May your 2019 be a wave of goodness and success, both internally and with others!
Get Weekly Inspiration
Need an inspirational kick-start from time to time? Enrique sends out short emails once a month, packed with just the right soul power to start your week.